The idea of webcasts was not new to me. I
had worked in business prior to becoming teacher and used video conference
calling frequently. Recently, I have seen small business owners (Lula Roe,
Paparazzi Jewelry) do Facebook live shows to showcase their product and drive
sales. When this assignment popped up, I immediately thought of using this
technology during a snow day or for homework help.
The idea for my webcast is simple. I
wanted to pretend that it was a snow day and I was connecting with my
students to review a math concept. I began my webcasting journey by trying
YouTube live. I was able to create a webcast, but unfortunately the students
were unable to join the class…it was restricted. I assumed it had something
to do with our education Google accounts. So, I thought I would sign in on
YouTube live with my personal email and I created a dummy email for a
student. Unfortunately, that didn’t work either.
Back to the drawing board I went. In the meantime,
I had participated in webinar on tech tools. Teachers First is
an amazing resource for web 2.0 tools. It was on their website that I discovered
Zoom. It is a free webinar service. It does
not require an email for participants to log in (bonus in a school). The only
catch with this one, was that students needed the Zoom app. Luckily, I had
three personal iPads, in which I was able to download the app for my students
to use.
It was time to go live. I borrowed three
students from a third grade teacher. Set them in different areas of the
library with headphone, an iPad and the Zoom app. We pretended it was a snow
day. Reviewed multiplication via a slide show I was able to share. On my
screen, I saw a chat feature, but the students did not see it on their iPad
version. So, we relied on voice responses to the questions.
We successfully held our mock snow day
webinar. The excitement on the kids’ eyes when we were done was priceless. They
had so much fun participating in this new technology experience.
We share our recording with their teacher.
She is pregnant and will be on maternity leave next year. We discussed using
this as an option for her to check in on her students while on leave. We also
thought it would be a good option for a teacher absence. The teacher could
still relay the expectations for the day and make sure the kids were ready
for their day.
I had thought of its usefulness for
weather related cancellations or as a homework help option. Additionally, it would
be fun to use it to connect with other classrooms for a pen pal or with
industry experts. I recall hearing that as part of our new science program,
students will have the opportunity to use a webinar format to chat with a
scientist.
I truly believe the possibilities are
endless and only limited by ones imagination.
|
Tried and tested technology resources and lesson plans to bring your elementary library into the 21st century.
Thursday, June 7, 2018
Tech Examples In Use: Zoom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment