Saturday, June 9, 2018

Me Online: My Digital Identity

In each of the 4 courses I have taken as part of the Discovery Edge Program, I have been required to keep some kind on online presence. Some required a blog, others an Adobe Spark Page. In the last class I took, I was required to start a formal blog. I continued that blog in this class. It was hard deciding on a focus as there are so many blogs out there. How would my voice be different? Does it matter if it is different than what it out there? Who is my audience?

In the last class, I decided my focus would be on the modern library. I am not quite a librarian and not quite a technology teacher. My role is somewhere in between. I am lucky in that I have the freedom to be able to create engaging lessons that exist in the middle of that odd space. I decided that the focus of my online identity and blog would be to highlight things I have tried. What worked and what didn’t. As I was gathering all of my assignments and tasks from my courses, there were two main categories that emerged. I titled them Tech Examples in Use and Do You? Tech Examples in Use is a category of web tools and apps that I have tried as part of a grad class or in my classroom. Do You? is a category that discusses certain topics like assessment, digital citizenship, etc. It allows the reader to reflect on if and how they use that topic in their current role.

I then added some other sections that I will be beneficial to be going forward. I am part of my District’s STEM team. We are investigating and planning how to integrate STEM into our curriculum. As this is an ongoing focus for many schools, this section will be a place to house resources and reflections on that topic. Another section is dedicated to coding. I focus a lot on that in my day to day, so I wanted a place to showcase the projects my students are creating and provide inspiration for others who may be doing the same. The last section is lesson plans. When it comes to lesson plans, all teachers need them and most despise creating them. I am a firm believer in not trying to recreate the wheel. So, this section will be one in which I share lessons and encourage others to do the same in the comments. Lastly, I included an about me Page where others can connect with me on the few social media sites that I participate in. I have also included links to the blogs that I derive inspiration from.

I never really thought of myself as a blogger, but I like having a place online where I can keep a digital log of what happens in my library and school. My blog will be more of a digital portfolio for me and I will update when I feel I have something to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment