Here is a link to the Survey Monkey I created. I had never used this tool for online assessment.
Assessments have come a long way thanks to technology. There are so many options available. I have used several tools to create online assessments for students. I am currently using Google forms with my 2nd grade class. In Pennsylvania we are required to create an SLO. I created my pre and post tests using Google forms. Last year, I used Nearpod and it also allows me to embed assessments into their presentation modules. Additionally, I used Survey Monkey to create an assessment for this course.
Perhaps, it was because I had not used it before, or the fact that I have a sinus infection that is not allowing my brain to work, but I found Survey Monkey to be a bit clunky. I had issues uploading my pictures as they were too big. Therefore, I had to resize them. I had never resized pictures before, so I learned a new trick. While, it was slow going, I quickly got up to speed and was able to create my questions. I love that they offer so many question types. Even though I had a slow start with this program, I would use it again. I would have to do a little more investigating to see how I could use it with my students. The area I am not sold on, it the end result and how I can use the results to drive instruction for whole class and individuals.
I like using online polls with my students, because, I feel they are more engaging. They allow you to provide so many options for answer choice types: M/C, fill in, OE, sliding scale, checkboxes, etc. My favorite option in Survey Monkey was the slider. What a great tool for math questions. What I didn't like was that I set a number limit, and the slider did not adjust the numbers to fit the scale I selected.
An additional benefit of these online tools is that many of them do the grading for you. They also allow you to export the data so that you can really analyze it and adjust instruction. As a teacher, this is a time saver. Google Forms and Nearpod allow me to see results based on each student, I am not sure that Survey Monkey does that without upgrading to the paid option.
Overall, I do and will continue to use online assessment tools with my students.
Perhaps, it was because I had not used it before, or the fact that I have a sinus infection that is not allowing my brain to work, but I found Survey Monkey to be a bit clunky. I had issues uploading my pictures as they were too big. Therefore, I had to resize them. I had never resized pictures before, so I learned a new trick. While, it was slow going, I quickly got up to speed and was able to create my questions. I love that they offer so many question types. Even though I had a slow start with this program, I would use it again. I would have to do a little more investigating to see how I could use it with my students. The area I am not sold on, it the end result and how I can use the results to drive instruction for whole class and individuals.
I like using online polls with my students, because, I feel they are more engaging. They allow you to provide so many options for answer choice types: M/C, fill in, OE, sliding scale, checkboxes, etc. My favorite option in Survey Monkey was the slider. What a great tool for math questions. What I didn't like was that I set a number limit, and the slider did not adjust the numbers to fit the scale I selected.
An additional benefit of these online tools is that many of them do the grading for you. They also allow you to export the data so that you can really analyze it and adjust instruction. As a teacher, this is a time saver. Google Forms and Nearpod allow me to see results based on each student, I am not sure that Survey Monkey does that without upgrading to the paid option.
Overall, I do and will continue to use online assessment tools with my students.
No comments:
Post a Comment