Monday, June 4, 2018

Do You Evaluate Your Apps?

App Evaluation Tool:

I decided to use the evaluation tool specifically for iPad/iPod use. I selected the Kathy Schrock's Critical Evaluation of a creation iPad/iPod App. I selected this form for many reasons. First and foremost was the iPad focus. Second was that it focused on the creation aspect.  Most of the projects I have my students’ complete serve as a culminating activity and are based on "creating" content.

As I reviewed the criteria, I realized that it ticked all the boxes for items that I had looked for informally. One of the most important is the ability to use the app on the web as well as iPad. This allows students to work on their projects at home, if they wish, no matter the type of device they are working on. Another feature that is a must have is the ability to insert different types of media.

Overall, this form is a succinct tool that allows one to quickly and thoughtfully evaluate the efficiency of an app.


App Tool Evaluation:

There is an app that seems to come close to what I envision...it is the Notes app for IOS devices. It has always allowed for checklists. One can also add videos or photos which would be great for tasks that have steps that need to be followed. One new feature also allows for students to markup a PDF document. Another new feature is the ability for several people to be working in one Note at the same time.
 
  • Type, dictate, or draw Note. You can even use the Apple pencil to draw in Notes. The ability to use these different forms to create a note makes this an ideal app for everyone. The ability to dictate can be an added feature for ESL students or those who are below grade level in reading and writing to either practice English or to obtain help with spelling words phonetically. 
  • Create a checklist - This feature is helpful on many levels. Especially for tasks that require many steps. It can also be used by students to keep track of homework assignments and teacher directions. It can be beneficial for the student who struggles with transitions. By checking off a completed period, they can prepare for the transition to the next period. 
  • Create Content with drawings, photos, or videos. This allows for students to pull together a variety of resources that can aid in their understanding of a topic. 
  • Scan documents with can then be annotated with the other tools. The teacher can scan a document and send it to the students via classroom. Then, they can use their drawing tools to annotate or highlight the passage. 
Overall, with the recent updates, this appears to be a multi-functional app that can be used for a variety of classroom applications. I have a feeling this is going to be my go to app for most tasks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment