When I was first hired, my Principal said…third and fourth graders need more of a show, they need to be entertained to be engaged. While I didn’t really know what to do with that information then, now, I feel more equipped and gamification is definitely an entertainer. Whether it be a simple game of Beat the Teacher, earning badges on Epic, or completing a Breakout, kids are definitely engaged.
At my elementary school we are heavy into rewarding students for a variety of things. We give out cardinal cash (our mascot is the cardinal) for good citizenship and other “things”. Students can then use the cardinal cash to buy items in the school store. The discussion on if this is good or bad can be saved for another day and post. So gamification fits in with this model as it essentially rewards students for completing a task. It provides an incentive to complete a task. That award can be a badge, a point, or winning “the game”. The reward is non monetary and motivation for completion is generally intrinsic. If done correctly, gamification leaves the students wanting more.
The students at my school have an app on their IPADs called Epic Books. It is an amazing app for all different kinds of ebooks, education videos, and so much more. Epic has also gotten in on the gaming aspect by awarding badges for completing tasks. The students love sharing their badges with me and competing with each other to see who has more badges. As a result, it prompted me to consider badges for all of the tasks we complete in library.
Recently, in one of my Facebook groups, there was a conversation regarding actual badges or digital badges. After reading both side I am conflicted about which ones I want to implement for my makerspace centers. I like that with actual badges kids could wear them and everyone could see what they have accomplished. Since they are more visible, students might work harder to earn them. I don’t like that they will most likely lose their badges. Of course, I would also have to print out the badges, which would require extra time on my part. The opposite can be said for digital badges. While they can share with others, it is not so obvious. If they don’t earn a badges, they don’t necessarily have to share that with anyone unless they chose to do so. Pluses are that they won’t lose them and I don’t have to print anything. Luckily, my makerspace expert- Mrs. J. – has created a form that automatically generates digital badges, so the time commitment on my part is minimal. Mrs. J has successfully used badges to encourage her students to complete her library centers. In her Library, she requires the students to earn 3 research badges before they can begin to try out other centers. Students can earn badges for other activities, but they are not required like the research centers. The badge system also allows her to see which students may be stuck on a center or keep repeating the same center. So, it allows her to easily see where students are in their learning.
Ok, so after going through the pros and cons, I think I have made my decision…I will go digital. After all, we are 1:1 iPads, it just makes more sense. So, what is my plan? I will create levels of badges. For example, the first unit I teach is digital citizenship. In third grade we are going to talk about cyberbullying, citing sources, and image copyrights. Students will receive a badge for each individual task and then a culminating digital citizenship badge. They will earn badges for successfully completing the assessment or activity related to the project. If, for some reason, they are not successful, they will have the opportunity to redo it on their own time to earn the badge.
Switching to a different kind of gamification. The idea of actual games becoming instructional partners. I have chosen to describe a simple game and a not so simple one.
The first one is Teacher vs. Students.
I pull this one out when I have a particularly unruly class. Remember when I said my school was heavy on rewards? Well, I tie this one into the cardinal cash system. The premise is simple. I pick a rule like raising your hand to speak. Every time a student complies, the students get a point. Every time they call out without raising their hand I get a point. If at the end of class, they have more points than I do, they get cardinal cash. I try my hardest to have the students win as it gives them a boost. However, if they don’t really earn it, lesson learned, they need to try harder next time. The students generally respond to this game as a way to curb an undesirable behavior. They start to monitor each other and love when they get points and beat me.
The second is Breakout Edu.
Here is a great video created by James Sanders, founder of Breakout Edu:
This format is gaining popularity. The makers of Breakout Edu have capitalized on escape room phenomena. These games are played with lock boxes, lots of locks attached to a hasp, and a curriculum topic.
You can turn any worksheet/unit into a breakout with a little work. or you can use one of the many pre made games already created.
These breakouts are challenging and require kids to use critical thinking skills. If students get stuck on an answer, they can get a hint from the teacher. Each game is designed to only last 45 minutes. To
“win” you answer all questions and break into the box and retrieve the prize.
“win” you answer all questions and break into the box and retrieve the prize.
In the video that was a conversation between Paul Anderson and Erica Armstrong, Anderson said, ” Second thing I learned is that failure is ok.”. Not all breakouts will be successful and that is OK. It is the process. The students are using many skills to complete all tasks and that in itself is a win win.
Not ready to commit to the locks and boxes? Check out TPT.. Some sellers are creating similar versions using envelopes. I actually tried this with my first and second grade students at the end of last year. We tried a math addition and subtraction game. As I am a Librarian and only have the students for 40 minutes, my biggest problem was time. We were not very successful with the task. It could have been because it was a new concept. It could have been that we did it as a whole group because the students are not independent readers. I am not sure. What I do think, is that this is best when done with students who can complete it more independently with a group. I feel they will be better able to use their critical thinking skills and can bounce ideas off of each other. I may give it another try with the lower elementary students, but I would need to format it differently. Perhaps, I would provide them with a QR code that lead to a recording of the directions. This would enable them to work together and complete the task without much adult intervention.
So hopefully you have some new ideas to try out in your library or classroom. How are you going to gamify your lessons?
For more information on the resources included in this blog post, check out:

No comments:
Post a Comment