On a personal and professional level, I can definitely see using an aggregation tool. For the longest time, I have just been randomly saving websites as a bookmark in my browser. No, organization, just saving things I like or want to come back to. Unfortunately, since they are unorganized, do you really think I ever get back to them? Uh, nope. Using a tool like Feedly, would help me to better organize the various blogs, I enjoy. I also like that you can search by keywords.
When I learn about a new tool, I like to gather as much information as possible. With a site like Feedly, It makes finding applicable websites easier. As I teach grades 1-4, I am having a hard time applying it to that age group for individual use. I see it more used by me, to sort out resources that I would want to share. I think that perhaps grades 3-4 could be introduced to it as a means of organization. After all, right now, they just create a link on their iPads, with no organization. Then then end up with a bunch of google icons on their iPads.
The area that causes me some pause for individual student use is that the students need to create an account. While, our students do have Google Accounts, linking them would be easy, but I still have concerns. Additionally, there is no way for me to actively monitor what they are saving. Even though we have a filter to block inappropriate content, some students (yes, elementary students) find a way around it.
In daily instruction, I can see the use more from me as a teacher. I can see using it to gather resources myself and sharing the links with the students or during whole group instruction. While the free version does not link to Google classroom, I hope they consider that as free option, soon, rather than as a paid PRO option. That would make life so much easier and a time saver. As of right now, if I want to share a link quickly, I create either create a QR code and students scan it or upload it to Google classroom.
Overall, from a personal and teaching perspective, an aggregation tool is helpful for curating resources for different topics. I would love to hear how others are using an aggregation tool with their elementary students.
PEARLTREES:
Yes, I love Pinterest for saving the many things I find on the web, but I found a new tool that might just be a bit better (depending on your needs): Pearltrees.com
Our final project involves creating an online magazine. I have decided to create a magazine dedicated to Makerspaces. In my school we are slowly implementing a makerspace one step at a time. By compiling a carefully selected set of resources, I am hoping to make the process go a bit smoother.
I will include a diverse selection of resources geared towards the elementary aged student. Many of the Maker Experts I have chosen are teachers who have successfully implemented makerspaces. In addition, they are at the forefront of the movement, are sought out by my peers, and conduct workshops around the country.
What is so great about Pearltrees?????
It is similar to Pinterest, but allows for a few more features that make it ideal for creating a resource around a particular topic.
Some notable features:
- BEST FEATURE: you can create sections within a topic. I love this as I can have all related resources in one spot.
- free- the basic curation tool is free. You can upgrade for additional features like annotating web pages, customizing the background, etc.
- You can also upload a lot more than websites. You can import files, notes, images, lists, etc…from Facebook, dropbox, Google drive, twitter and bookmarks. You can add websites by searching within Pearltrees.
- shareable – As you can see by my magazine above, I am able to embed it into websites. You can also share by:
- comments – you can add notes via comments
- Chrome extension – the Peartree chrome extension (web clipper) allows you to quickly add any web resource to your magazine by a tap of a button.
I would love to hear from you. Feel free to help me curate my magazine. Please share any resources you may have found useful in your teaching that are related to STEAM projects or Makerspaces. Also, if you are a current Pearltree user, let me know if you would like me to add you to my Connections list.


No comments:
Post a Comment