If you are an elementary teacher, you know how long it can take your kids to
type in a web address. There are two tools that can be of great help and a big
time savers.
First, consider a URL shortner. It can take a
long URL and condense it to make it more manageable. I shortened the web address
for this blog. It was https://mckinnonlib.blogspot.com/
and is now https://bit.ly/2IsYo10 thanks to URL shortner Bit.ly. Honestly, when I look at the shortened
version, I still see a 30 minute task for first and second graders. The
combination of the letters and numbers, makes typing on an iPad keypad, a bit
tricky. I can see how it would be much easier on with an actual keyboard. So,
the best option yet, for getting online quickly, is QR codes.
Since my school is 1:1, QR codes have been a “Must
Have” tool. I use them at least once a week. Today, I used a QR code to get
kids to a website that had a game I wanted them to review. We have also used
them for recent tournaments at my school. If the third and fourth grade
students want to see where there class ranks, they simply scan the code, and
are taken to the form.
The use for QR codes is only limited by your imagination.
As a librarian, I use it for student book requests. I have also used them for
students to check their answers to certain task cards I found on TPT. QR
codes are not limited to iPads. There are extensions you can add to make Chromebook
or any other device with a camera, read them. UPDATE: Just came across the blog post from one of my favorite "Go To" sources: The Techie Teacher. She explains how to use QR codes with Chromebooks.
Another tool that I think is a must have for teachers is Quietube. How many times have your students been distracted by the other content on YouTube’s Page? Too many. Quitube works by only showing the actual video. No ads, no other content. After adding the bookmarklet, you simply open the YouTube video, click on the bookmarklet, and voila. You have a screen with just your video. You can opt for a white or black background.
Before Quitube:
After Quietube:
Please share the one tool you cannot live without.


No comments:
Post a Comment