This week I am checking out three tools that I have not ever used. Spoiler Alert: two of them I really like and one of them bombed.
Evaluate:
|
|
Cost
|
Ipads/
chromebooks?
|
Sign
Up?
|
Ads?
|
Ease
of Use
|
|
ABCYa
Animate
|
Free*
Limited free access on web, iPad app requires a purchased subscription
|
Both
– web version and app:
|
Yes
|
Yes
|
simple
to use
|
|
BeFunky
|
Basic
version is free
|
Web
only; there is an app – but not for presentations, only for photo editing.
|
Yes
|
Yes
|
Simple
to Medium Learning curve; Froze a lot in chrome browser
|
|
Storyboard
That
|
free
|
Web
Version only, but works on iPad in a browser.
|
Yes
|
No
|
Simple
to Medium – small learning curve
|
ABCya Animate:
This is an ideal tool for elementary use. It is simple to
use. On the web, no log in is required when using a computer. iPad use, does require a sign when accessing
from the web. In addition, there is an app, but it requires a sign up. on
laptop, prompted for log in on ipad and required to sign in for paid
subscription. Even, when trying to access the website, via a browser, it
requires a log in.
I created a sample project that includes the many features
available:
Apparently, I forgot to hit the save button, as it is supposed to save the project as a GIF, but I couldn’t locate it. Luckily, I saved screen shots of my project:
Apparently, I forgot to hit the save button, as it is supposed to save the project as a GIF, but I couldn’t locate it. Luckily, I saved screen shots of my project:
On the last screen you can see the different tools available to use.
Storyboard That:
This a step up from ABCya animate. It has more
options for font type and size, speech bubbles, You do need to sign in and can
create two for free, free account also limited in the number of slides they can
have. The minimum is 3 and max is 6. You
can create on both iPad (without app) and laptop. I created a similar project
to the ABCya one to show the features:
From an educational perspective ABCya Animate and
StoryboardThat are two tools that would be great options in the schools to
provide students with another way to share what they know. Being able to save
the projects means that they can be shared via different platforms. I can see
using ABCya with the lower elementary and StoryboradThat with upper elementary
students.
BeFunky Designer:
The last tool I reviewed was BeFunky. It can be compared to Canva in its purpose. It is a tool that is used to create online posters. I have to admit, this tool frustrated me. It kept freezing in the Chrome browser and when selecting items to move or delete, randomly selected a nearby object. If I was frustrated, I can only imagine hwo impatient my students would be.
The last tool I reviewed was BeFunky. It can be compared to Canva in its purpose. It is a tool that is used to create online posters. I have to admit, this tool frustrated me. It kept freezing in the Chrome browser and when selecting items to move or delete, randomly selected a nearby object. If I was frustrated, I can only imagine hwo impatient my students would be.
It has limited free options. I do think that it would be
frustrating for kids to see all of the options available for purchase. There are ads on screen, which can be
distracting. As for the functions, there are many fonts and sizes available. You
can upload pics from facebook, or pixabay and unsplash.
Another area that made it hard to use was that it was small on
the screen. While you can zoom it, It only zoomed to the middle of the screen.
I wasn’t able to find a way to scroll. You can share to Pinterest, Facebook,
Twitter, as well as download an image to your computer.
Here is a sample project I created:
Overall, I would not consider using this in my classroom. I
feel that Canva is more user friendly and has much more options available for
free.

No comments:
Post a Comment