Monday, June 4, 2018

Do You Use (or Teach) Critical Evaluation?

Critical evaluation is an important skill for today’s students. At the elementary level, this can be a bit tricky as the students are still learning how to read. But, this is an activity we can do as a class so that they begin to form the foundation skills for researching in middle and high school. It is for that reason that I chose to keep my presentation to four key components for evaluation: Who, Why, When, and Where. I did not want to overwhelm them with too much information, but just enough for them to grasp the concept and be able to apply it. Our students tend to think that if it is on the internet, whether it be music, movies, content, etc. then it is fair use. It can be tricky enough to teach them not to plagiarize words. So, navigating the complicated creative commons licensing is even trickier. In the past I have tried to point my first through fourth grade students to sites that allow free use of images. Unfortunately, the students got discouraged because they couldn’t find what they want quickly. So, for time sake, I decided to start making folders of appropriate images for them to use. Since I only have them 40 minutes a week, this has been a time saver for all of us. Plus, the students are less overwhelmed with the smaller selection of images.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Ns8__YWVIfavD_zYueu6_3mzZKZOc7u-JOy-7OUD_x8/edit?usp=sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment